Are you always online? always in front of your computer, spending a lot of time chatting with friends, writing blogs,etc. All of this requires the use of our precious hand specially our wrist, maybe sometimes we experience the sudden tingling or numbness of our hands and wrists, others experience it like a sharp pain seems to shoot from the wrists to the arms, specially when the wrists are moved. The problem is if we overused our hands, chances are we may get a condition call CTS or Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, if you experience this kind of signs and symptoms, you may need to visit a specialist.
To test if you have this kind of condition (Carpal Tunnel Syndrome)
do this test:
Tinel Test - Involves tapping or pressing on the median nerve of the patients wrists. Where a tingling feeling in the fingers or an electric shock like sensation is felt. The test means its positive.
Phalen Test - also known as the wrist-flexing test. This test involves hold his/her forearms uptight by pointing the fingers down then pressing the backs of the hands together. CTS is suspected if symptoms such as pain, tingling or numbness is felt in the fingers within one minute.
Here are the common Carpal Tunnel Syndrome symptoms:
- Weakness of grip leading to a tendency to drop things.
- Tingling sensation and numbness of fingers specially the thumb.
- Hand pain specially at night.
- Massage your hands and wrists every now and then while doing things that require the use of hands and wrists.
- Position the computer monitor directly in front of your seat to avoid twisting of your body.
- Ensure that the keyboard is as the same height as the elbows.
- The body should be align properly with the keyboard. You can do this by bending your elbow to a 90 degree angle.
- Observe proper posture while sitting.
- Wear splints to keep the wrists straight. This is because flexing the hand can significantly decrease the space inside the carpal tunnel.
- Observe the proper wrists position while working. Studies have shown that the improper use of the mouse is more of a cause than typing in the keyboard.
- Perform stretching and strengthening exercise.
- The most effective way is to rest between prolonged use of hands and wrists. Computer program which reminds computer users to rest and stretch their limbs are being use in US to help.