Monday, January 4, 2010
Jan. 4, 2010 -- The National Basketball Association (NBA) today tips off of its inaugural NBA FIT Week 2010, which will run through Jan. 11. During NBA FIT Week, the entire NBA family will join with community members and partners to highlight the importance of healthy living. NBA FIT Week will feature grassroots programs and events, special on court apparel, and in-arena and online programming designed to inspire kids and families across the country to live active, healthy lives.
Throughout NBA FIT Week, teams will host NBA FIT Days- which will feature healthy activities and fun for the whole family- led by current and former NBA and WNBA players in cities across the country. The events are being held in conjunction with the ongoing NBA FIT/ WNBA FIT Challenge that will reach more than 100,000 boys and girls in 35 cities nationwide. All FIT Day participants and their families receive take-home FIT tips and other instructional materials to support their health and wellness goals.
“NBA FIT Week is a great way to motivate kids and families to start the New Year on the right foot,” said NBA All-Star and NBA FIT Team member, Grant Hill. “As a professional athlete and an NBA FIT Team member, I know how important it is to exercise and eat well every day. The NBA FIT program provides fans of all ages with the inspiration and the resources they need to identify and maintain their health and wellness goals.”
NBA FIT Week highlights include:
· Current and former NBA and WNBA players, including NBA All-Star Carmelo Anthony, will host NBA FIT Days for hundreds of youngsters and families.
· The Orlando Magic will launch a new program in partnership with the Florida Hospital to help boys and girls make healthier food choices.
· Miami HEAT Head Coach and NBA FIT Team member Erik Spoelstra will lead more than 100 Miami-area youngsters in an NBA FIT clinic on Jan. 5.
· NBA All-Star and NBA FIT Team member Brandon Roy will host a FIT Clinic for Portland-area youngsters on Jan. 9.
· NBA D-League FIT Challenges for Boise, Idaho youth hosted by D-League stars as part of the 2010 NBA D-League Showcase.
· NBA players will wear special NBA FIT shooting shirts for games throughout NBA FIT Week.
· Throughout NBA FIT Week, teams will run in-arena NBA FIT tips and will share health ideas and information with the fans.
· NBA teams will host pre-game, on court ball exchanges with local boys and girls who commit to healthy living and PLEDGE NBA FIT.
· Throughout the week, children and families can log on to NBA.com to PLEDGE NBA FIT and to get fitness and nutrition tips to support their 2010 healthy living goals.
“Through the NBA FIT Week, the league, its teams and players are tipping off the New Year with a special week long celebration emphasizing the importance of maintaining a healthy lifestyle,” said NBA Executive Vice President of Social Responsibility and Player Programs Kathleen Behrens. “This inaugural event is a key component to NBA FIT’s goal of getting one million kids, adults, and families to PLEDGE NBA FIT and commit to lead more active, healthy lives in 2010.”
Through the NBA FIT program, the NBA family encourages fans of all ages to join one million other kids, adults and families in committing to lead more active, healthy lives by PLEDGING NBA FIT. To make your pledge or to learn more about NBA FIT, log on to www.nba.com/NBAFIT.